Ever eat dinner at Houston’s and have the out of body experience known as ordering the Grilled Artichoke with Garlic Aioli? Every time I eat dinner there, I order this baby and it almost brings me to tears it’s so good. For God’s sake! How do they do it?! I ask myself at least once a year. I was pretty much resolved that it was impossible to recreate until a couple of gorgeous artichokes kicked me in the butt and I decided to try and figure it out.
I came home determined and after a bit of digging online, I found enough web entries to crack the code and the perfected, finished recipe is posted here along with my photos. Best part is, it’s pretty darn simple. Sorry Houston’s! Your secret is out!
Not So Secret Grilled Artichoke with Garlic Aioli
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup good Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tarragon leaves chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Squeeze the juice from one lemon wedge into the water. Trim the tops from the artichokes, then cut in half lengthwise, and place halves into the bowl of lemon water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the artichokes to boiling water and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove from boiling water, clean out the furry bits in the middle. Place on a plate/tray.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon wedges into a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the artichokes with a coating of the garlic marinade (not the aioli), and refrigerate for up to an hour before grilling.
- While Artichokes are chilling, combine mayo, lemon juice, garlic, tarragon, salt & pepper in a small bowl and stir well. Refrigerate until just about ready to serve.
- Ready to eat? Place artichokes on a preheated grill and grill for 5 to 10 minutes, basting with marinade and turning frequently, until the tips are a little charred. *For extra flavor cook the artichokes on the grill after grilling your beef.
- Enjoy a job well done!